Friday, July 23, 2010

Revisiting: Carcassonne the Castle

I now have the dubious honor of buying the same game 3 times.  And everyone of those was a deliberate purchase for myself.  What's even crazier is that I have sold this game twice because I didn't want it anymore.  Not because it was a good deal.  I mean, I've probably lost a good $10-$15 per copy, so let's put it at a $40 game for me now.  What is it?

Carcassonne the Castle

Why do I keep getting rid of it?

1. I maybe kind of like vanilla-carc better.  I sure as heck got carc'd out for awhile.  I had the big-box+Castle+H&G.

2. My wife doesn't think it's as pretty when it's done.  And, I've got to agree with her in general.

3. I was buying new games and needed the shelf space.


So why do I keep getting it back?

1. I enjoy playing it.

2. I keep thinking about the damn thing.


So, here I am on my third copy.  Of course we had to play it.  And you know what?  I think I liked it better than ever.  It was nice and close.  I really like how the bonus tiles add some hard thought to scoring, and then once you get them they can guide your long term strategy.

I think the Keep is just the right level of complication.  I like how much of your score is hidden at the end.

Yea, I just like the damn thing.  So sue me.  Now if only "The City" was simpler.  The whole wall thing there just seems bonkers.  And there's no fun bonus tiles to run along and collect :(

Of course, if I want to be honest, I think I'm on my third copy of Quo Vadis too.  I suppose I have a love-hate relationship with Knizia.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Behave. Your mamma could read this.